BOOKMARK US!!!

scroll down on the right-hand side and "FOLLOW" us for the optimum experience!

Thursday, February 14, 2013

ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATED SHORT FILMS



ACADEMY AWARD
NOMINATED SHORT FILMS



KUDOS TO

DIA's of Detroit Film Theatre

for making this possible.






THE ANIMATED NOMINEES





Animation - Oscar Nominated Short Films 2013 by myfilm-gr











MAGGIE SIMPSON IN "THE LONGEST DAYCARE"






Talk about "the pursuit of life"!  Really nice and very well done.  Being a fan of the franchise I wish I could say that I'm surprised but I'm not.  This is the longest running TV show ever for a reason.  Underneath all the cooky comedy, and special guests, and all the laughable situations that they get into, there is a real connection with what is real.  I guess that's why we've marveled at it for so long.
     This will be the first Silent film for the Simpsons.  Talk about diversifying your portfolio. Kudos!




ADAM AND A DOG





     Here's another silent film but this time with watercolors masterfully used and a very original concept.  Interesting but at the same time a little morbid than I thought it should be.  Recognizing it's not about me but the film itself, I'll leave it for you to judge.




FRESH GUACAMOLE












Cute.  Very innovative!




HEAD OVER HEELS


PITCH








VIEW





      Interesting... I liked the ending, I really did but  can't help but think of how awesome it would of been for them to see 'eye to eye'... but ultimately I guess that's the point... effort:)
nice.



PAPERMAN








              Hands down Walt Disney has conventional animation on lock and key.  Do I really need to comment here?  Look for this one to win the Oscar.






THE LIVE ACTION NOMINEES  





DEATH OF A SHADOW





      A very different take on the afterlife.  A little too melancholy for my tastes but interesting to a point.  After that point I wasn't that blown away by it. Still worth taking a look at.



HENRY




      Gérard Poirier  [Henry] gave the best acting performance of the night.  I think this film will win the Oscar for live action shorts.  It hits home with all who has or has had family members going through this.



CURFEW



      Even though I pegged Henry to win the Oscar, Curfew was my favorite. Being an Uncle you don't see a lot of films about us. I am forever grateful that I saw this one. Passive aggressive, yet warm.  I loved it.
reminder:  I have to look up red telephones in films on GOOGLE.



BUZKASHI BOYS



    
     This film did a wonderful job of showing a contrast between dreaming big and contentment. Even though they left the debate up to us and it makes for good discussions, I was left not feeling any closure.
     I loved the setting and cinematography.    I especially like the character Ahmad, he reminded me of my very good friend/brother Lynwood, although Lynwood favored Rafi physically at that age.
I liked it a lot but I may be biased.  It was nostalgic for me.


ASAD



     A very different view of life with pirates.  Think: the innocence of the so-called young "terrorists" in the film BABEL set in a "City of God" setting... Just replace Rio with Somalia.
          ASAD is pretty familiar to all who grew up in poverty... Albeit, the poor here has nothing on poverty overseas, the dangers in everyday functioning seem all too familiar.
   I loved it!!  If it wasn't for Curfew, this would be may favorite out the bunch.

No comments: