BOOKMARK US!!!

scroll down on the right-hand side and "FOLLOW" us for the optimum experience!

Friday, August 14, 2015

Straight Outta Compton









THE PITCH




WORTH
$$$$$



THE VIEWING

"Let me tell you what I see here: a lot of raw talent..."



       In the ever on-going effort to stay reasonably and consistently objective in this blog I will admit, there may be some bias here, so please read the following with the proper dosage of ginkgo biloba:  Straight Outta Compton had my attention throughout.  The film went from good to great, then to outstanding in a very approximate and swift 2 hours. Especially considering that the original cut was about 3 hours and 30 minutes long.


     I was nervous about the film falling into the conventional bio-pic feature, as I like to call it,  the “ Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story” effect. Okay, maybe I don’t really call it that but the important part is that Straight Outta Compton didn’t come to that.  It became an extremely compelling story exceptionally fast, even to those of us that are very familiar with the exploits of the rap group.


    Hats off to the casting crew.  Everyone had a superb performance.  I am not sure why yet but the performances, along with the story, and the direction just ALL seemed to get better near the end.  I can’t wait to see it again as I am sure I will discover things I missed last night.  


     It is very hard to believe that it has been over 20 years since the passing of Eric Wright. The depiction of that event leaves such a scar in your emotions that it feels like yesterday.  It’s on your mind for the rest of the night and certainly into the next day… as it is in mine…. as I write this right now.  


     That is one of the best things about movies.  Whenever you leave the theater with something, it becomes an experience rather than an event. That can be defined as value, or simply “worth watching”.

     letter grade: A























No comments: